We I’m back to the Windows 7 Beta. I think I solved the problem of the BSOD when downloading a large set of files (like 6.3GB of mp3 files) from my Linux file server. I built an entirely new server (as in loaded new server software on an existing box) and copied the files from the main server to the new server. Downloading from the new server to Windows 7 caused a BSOD.
I flattened the new server, reinstalled Linux and samba then loaded the mp3’s on the server from another source then downloaded to Windows 7. That went without a hitch. As a result I conclude that the problem was in the files on the server, not with Windows 7. However this still concerns me. Tonight I’m going to run fsck on the Linux server and then delete and restore the mp3s.
But back to Win 7, I’m running it on my main production laptop now. I haven’t quite gone all the way and installed iTunes and made it the machine I back my iPod to. But if all goes well for the next couple of days I’ll consider that as well. Just because I know you’re dying to see it, here’s a screenshot of my Win 7 Desktop.
I’m really starting to like the way the new task bar works, especially since I found out how to turn on the Quick Links bar so I can add locations. I still don’t know about libraries, so I’m ignoring them for now.